September 29 is World Heart Day
Lose weight and help your heart
Did you know that an overweight person’s heart has to work harder to pump blood? This is a growing concern because being overweight or obese are major risk factors for heart disease and stroke. By achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, you can significantly reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. A healthy weight can also help control other conditions such as high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and diabetes.
There are many factors to be managed during weight loss, so we feel it is critical that the entire process is monitored carefully. Without proper medical supervision and dietary coaching, you may experience short term weight loss, but won’t have the tools and knowledge to keep it off long term.
At Bernstein Diet & Health Clinics we work with everyone who wants to lose weight. We also do a Framingham Risk Score for our patients, to help with early detection and prevention of Cardiovascular Disease. Our nursing staff and physicians can help you learn more about what your Framingham Risk Score is and what it means.
Whether you have a few pounds or a few hundred to lose, give us a call at 1.888.372.3438 to discuss your options.
*Individual weight loss may vary. Call for details. Compliance with our program is required.Back to top
Restarting the diet is easy
If you’ve already been on the diet in the past, and feel you need to restart, we’ve got the simple solution call us at 1.888.372.3438 and we will redirect your call to the appropriate location.
- You don’t need an appointment to restart the program; just a phone call and we will start the process right away.
- Since you have done the diet before you also don’t need to attend an orientation session again. (saving you $279.00)
- Buy either a weekly, bi-weekly, four week or eight week package and we will get you started on your weight loss journey.
- If you wish to attend a different clinic from the one you previously attended, you can do that too. Again, all you need to do is call us at 1.888.372.3438.
- If you want, you can also call the clinic you wish to attend directly. Use our clinic locator, or contact us to find the clinic closest to you.
Extended Clinic Hours
For even more convenience we have also extended the hours in the following clinics:
• Woodbridge Clinic at 200 Whitmore Road,
Monday to Friday – 6:00am to 8:00pm
• Yorkdale Clinic at Yorkdale Mall,
Monday to Friday – 6:00am to 8:00pm
September is Arthritis Awareness Month.
The term “Arthritis” refers to over 100 conditions that affect the joints, surrounding tissues, and other connective tissues. While it is most common in adults aged 65 or older, it can affect anyone of any age, race, or ethnic group.
Two of the most common forms of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis involves cartilage erosion mostly around the knees, hips, hands and fingers, and spine. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks normal joint tissues, typically in the hands and wrists, but can also cause stiffness and inflammation on other areas of the body.
Symptoms of arthritis include:
- Joint pain
- Swelling or tenderness
- Crunching feelings or sounds
- Fatigue, occasional fever
- Stiffness after sleeping or sitting
The chances of getting OA generally increase with the amount of weight the body’s joints have to bear. The knee is particularly affected because it is a major weight-bearing joint. Losing weight is the easiest and simplest form of treatment to control arthritis symptoms and other health related problems.
If you’re overweight or obese, aim to achieve a normal healthy weight. You should lose weight to achieve a body mass index of 25 or lower.
Many of The Bernstein Diet & Health Clinic patients find that painful arthritic symptoms are reduced or even disappear with weight loss. Many patients have reduced their need for anti-arthritic prescriptions. And sometimes they end up not needing their prescriptions at all. It is amazing how the loss of extra pounds can remove excruciating symptoms that they have been suffering over the years and change the quality of life.
After losing a significant amount of weight (70+ lbs), many of our patients have been able to cancel replacement joint surgery because of their pain relief and increased movement. If you do require surgery, prior weight loss will improve your speed of recovery.
For more information about arthritis, visit the Arthritis Society at http://www.arthritis.ca/Back to top
September 21 is World Alzheimer’s Day.
Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia, and the number of people suffering from Alzheimer’s is expected to quadruple by 2050.
Obesity has been associated with an increased chance of developing this disease. The earlier you lose weight, the better your chances at prevention. Speak to your physician to discuss how your diet plan can reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
For more information about preventing Alzheimer’s disease, visit the Alzheimer Society of Canada at http://www.alzheimer.ca/Back to top
Recipes of the Month
Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until desired thickness.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Serve and enjoy.
- 8 oz 230 g Watermelon, chopped
- 2 oz 60 g Tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2 oz 60 g Cucumber, chopped
- 2 oz 60 g Onion, chopped
- 2 oz 60 g Green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tbsp 30 ml White Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp 2.5ml Salt
Thai Mixer Stuffed Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute onion, zucchini, galangal, artichoke, red pepper until softened and fragrant.
- Remove galangal and mash mixture together.
- Lightly mix ¾ tbsp basil and ¾ tbsp cilantro in to mixture.
- Spoon mixture evenly on to chicken and roll tightly. Tie off with cooking rope.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken golden brown.
- Sprinkle with remaining basil and cilantro.
- 3.5 oz 100 g Chicken breast (flattened) or Large Shrimp
- 3 oz 90 g Zucchini (skin removed)
- 2 oz 60 g Artichoke
- 1 oz 30 g Onion (very finely diced)
- 1 oz 30 g Red pepper (very finely diced)
- 1 oz 30 g Spinach
- 1 tbsp Thai basil, fresh (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Cilantro, fresh (chopped)
- 1 chunk (approx. ½ in.) Galangal thinly sliced
Clinic Support & Administration
We are always looking for skilled people to join our team. Opportunities exist for personal and professional growth, in one of our administration and support team positions. Your chance to make a contribution to our patients’ success range from entry level to management positions in areas such as: Finance; Human Resources; Contact Centre; Warehousing/Logistics; Operations & Nursing Support; & Information Technology.
Nurses & Medical Receptionists
Are you tired of working unstable shifts & weekends? Are you looking to improve the balance between your work and family life? If you answered YES then we have the opportunity for you! As part of our highly skilled team, you will be closely monitoring our patients’ health, educating them on proper nutrition and motivating them to achieve their goals and maintaining their healthy weight for the rest of their lives!
Are you ready for a rewarding change of pace? With our dedicated and streamlined approach to patient care and clinic operations, the convenience of regular day-time working hours and attractive compensation, we present a significant lifestyle opportunity for today’s doctors. All while making a positive difference in so many of your patients’ lives.
For a list of current openings, and to apply online, visit https://www.drbdiet.com/careers/Back to top