Back to School Tips
As the school season starts back up, it’s important for students of all ages to stay on top of their nutrition, despite the impending stresses of school projects and mid-term exams. Children with proper nutrition levels perform better at their studies and are able to concentrate better during school hours. How do we make sure that our kids are eating well in school?
- For schools with cafeterias or universities with meal plans, discuss the best available on-campus options with your child. Explain that eating well will help improve their grades.
- Pack lunches when possible. Many school cafeterias offer a lot of “junk food”, and a pre-packed lunch will help kids avoid defaulting to unhealthy options with their lunch money.
- Stock up on convenient, portable, healthy food options like protein bars. Convenience is essential when the school year reaches “crunch time”, so the easiest options should be healthy ones.
- For older students, consider providing them with a recipe book. Easy, healthy meals will help them keep off the “Freshman 15”.
Recipes of the Month
Get a great start on your day with a healthy, delicious breakfast! (author: J.H.)
- 1 small La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Tortilla (36g)
- 11 oz Spinach
- 1 oz Red Pepper, sliced
- ½ cup Egg Beaters Original
- 1 slice Kraft Fat Free Swiss Cheese Slice
- Onion powder to taste
- Add a quarter inch of water to the frying pan, place spinach in the pan, and steam until the water is gone.
- Remove spinach and spray the same pan with PAM.
- Once sprayed, add and spread spinach evenly to cover half the pan.
- Mix egg beaters with red pepper and sprinkle with onion powder.
- On medium high heat, slowly pour egg mixture over the spinach so that it stays in the half circle.
- Break up ½ the cheese slice and scatter over the spinach and egg mixture.
- Cut tortilla in half, place across the spinach egg mixture and carefully flip the egg with spinach over the tortilla.
- Then break up the other ½ of the cheese slice and scatter over the egg spinach mixture and place the other half of the tortilla on top.
- Cook each side of the tortilla for about 1-2 minutes, or until the tortilla is crispy and cheese has melted.
- Enjoy immediately!
Apples are in season, these chips make a great after-school snack! (author: S.H.)
- 4 oz 1 Medium apple
- Juice of one small lemon
- 1 cup 250 ml Water
- Cinnamon to taste and garnish
- Preheat your oven to 175ºF while you are preparing your apple
- Take a small bowl and combine the lemon juice and water
- Take your peeled apple and using a mandolin, slice it into relatively thin slices over the bowl of lemon juice and water. This will prevent your apple from browning prematurely. (The thinner your slices, the more chips you will end up with, giving you more to munch on)
- Take your apple slices out of the bowl, place them on a silicone mat on a baking tray
- Sprinkle the desired amount of cinnamon over the apple slices
- Place your sliced apple into the preheated oven for approximately 2 hours, or until crisp
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes, then enjoy!
September is. The term “Arthritis” refers to over 100 conditions that affect the joints, surrounding tissues, and other connective tissues. While it is most common in adults aged 65 or older, it can affect anyone of any age, race, or ethnic group.
Two of the most common forms of arthritis areand . Osteoarthritis involves cartilage erosion mostly around the knees, hips, hands and fingers, and spine. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks normal joint tissues, typically in the hands and wrists, but can also cause stiffness and inflammation on other areas of the body.
Symptoms of arthritis include:
- Joint pain
- Swelling or tenderness
- Crunching feelings or sounds
- Fatigue, occasional fever
- Stiffness after sleeping or sitting
If you have persistent discomfort related to suspected arthritis symptoms, speak to your doctor. Early diagnosis and treatment can help slow disease progression.
If you suffer from back, hip, or knee pain, losing even 15 pounds can produce significant benefits. Losing weight removes stress from joints to achieve better mobility and much less pain. Many of our patients find that painful arthritic symptoms are reduced or even disappear with weight loss. Swelling of arthritic joints reduces with weight loss, which reduces pain and improves movement range, significantly improving quality of life.
After losing a significant amount of weight (70+ lbs), most of our patients have been able to cancelbecause of their pain relief and increased movement. If you do require surgery, prior weight loss will improve your speed of recovery.
For more information about arthritis, visit the Arthritis Society at http://www.arthritis.ca/Back to top
Featured Diet Product
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies
School lunches just got a lot more delicious.
Dr. Bernstein’s Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies haveeach of high quality protein at ready-to-eat convenience, making it easy to stick to your healthy routine!
You can purchase a box of cookies from http://store.drbdiet.com/ for just $16 (sales tax included). 7 servings of protein per box.Back to top
Clinic Support & Administration
We are always looking for skilled people to join our team. Opportunities exist for personal and professional growth, in one of our administration and support team positions. Your chance to make a contribution to our patients’ success range from entry level to management positions in areas such as: Finance; Human Resources; Contact Centre; Warehousing/Logistics; Operations & Nursing Support; & Information Technology.
Nurses & Medical Receptionists
Are you tired of working unstable shifts & weekends? Are you looking to improve the balance between your work and family life? If you answered YES then we have the opportunity for you! As part of our highly skilled team, you will be closely monitoring our patients’ health, educating them on proper nutrition and motivating them to achieve their goals and maintaining their healthy weight for the rest of their lives!
Are you ready for a rewarding change of pace? With our dedicated and streamlined approach to patient care and clinic operations, the convenience of regular day-time working hours and attractive compensation, we present a significant lifestyle opportunity for today’s doctors. All while making a positive difference in so many of your patients’ lives.
For a list of current openings, and to apply online, visit the following link: https://www.drbdiet.com/careers/Back to top