Dieting During the Holidays
During the holidays, it may be tempting to take a small break from your diet and cave in to fatty, starchy, and sugary foods. Even if for just one meal, making exceptions to your diet can make you feel tired and hungry, since the body will begin to crave more calories. Here are some tips to prevent this from happening:
- Perrier or soda water with lime or lemon in a wine glass will look appropriate and no one will push alcohol at you.
- If dining out: Choose restaurants that offer seafood such as steamed or poached fish, lobster, or shrimp. If you opt for a steak, order a small grilled 3-½ oz fillet, rare or medium rare (so it is juicy enough to not need sauces). You could also eat some protein before leaving home, so you can eat a salad and steamed vegetables and feel full. Fresh fruit as dessert is usually available.
- If dining at a friend’s home, ask to have the salad and vegetables for you to be set aside before dressings and sauces are added. Choose chicken or turkey breast instead of dark meat.
- Do not announce “I’m dieting” to others. Some people will feel this as a personal challenge to tempt you to break the rules.
- Drink lots of water with your meal – it will curb your appetite.
Temptation can be tough, but sticking to the diet is worth it. You will feel better and have lots of energy for holiday activities. Yes, you can!Back to top
Restarting the diet is quicker than ever before.
Are you a former patient of the Bernstein Diet? Are you interested in starting again?
Now you can come in anytime during our clinic hours or call us at 1-888-372-3438 or Let us Contact You and we will get you restarted as quickly as possible.
Refer a Friend, Earn Free Services!
Our patients frequently recommend the Bernstein Clinics to their friends and relatives. We warmly welcome these new patients and expend every effort to offer them the same outstanding personal care that is the Bernstein hallmark.
If you know anyone who could possibly benefit from our weight loss program, we’d like to make you an appreciative offer.
There is no cap or limit on the number of weeks you can obtain from this offer.
Simply have your friend or relative tell us your name and your home clinic, and you will be credited for free services as soon as they start treatment. Inquire at your nearest clinic location for more details.
Applicable to all Bernstein clinics in Canada:
|Thurs December 24||6:30 am – 12:30 pm
*or 6:00 am – 12:00 pm
|Fri December 25||Closed|
|Mon December 28||Closed|
|Tue December 29||Regular Hours|
|Wed December 30||Regular Hours|
|Thurs December 31||6:30 am – 12:30 pm
*or 6:00 am – 12:00 pm
|Fri January 01||Closed|
* Clinics which usually open at 6:00 am will be open until 12:00 pm, and clinics which usually open at 6:30 am will be open until 12:30 pm.
Click here to find your clinic to see when it opens.
Disability and Dieting
December 3 is the
Persons with physical disabilities sometimes have more difficulty maintaining healthy lifestyles due to limited options for physical activity, which can lead to obesity, and the myriad health issues related to obesity.
The Bernstein Diet accommodates persons with different physical abilities. The diet does not require exercise to succeed.
Anyone on our program can avoid obesity and the onset of its related health problems. Although patients are encouraged to exercise if they are able to do so, those who are not able to exercise will still enjoy all the benefits of weight loss.
For more information about the International Day of Persons with Disabilities, visit the United Nations at http://www.un.org/
Fibromyalgia, CFS, & PPS
is a disease caused by the impairment of pain processors within the body, and is also known as “chronic widespread pain”. About 2% of Canadians live with fibromyalgia.Back to top
is a disease characterized by excessive tiredness, loss of memory or concentration, unexplained muscle pain, joint pain without swelling or redness, and unprecedented headaches. The cause of CFS is not known.
is a condition that affects polio survivors many years after recovering. PPS is characterized by muscle weakness, fatigue, muscle atrophy, joint pain, shortness of breath, and weakness in swallowing.
Along with weight loss, we use extra vitamins for patients with these conditions. Without exception, there is significant improvement. These patients experience less pain and better energy levels.
For more information about Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, visit FM-CFS Canada at http://www.fm-cfs.ca/
For more information about Post-Polio Syndrome, visit Post-Polio Health International at http://www.post-polio.org/ http://www.post-polio.org/
Brentwood Clinic Re-Opened
Our Brentwood Village Mall Clinic in Calgary has re-opened at 3630 Brentwood Rd N.W. Unit 313B, and is open Monday to Friday from 6:00am – 2:00pm.
Click here for contact information and directions.
Recipes of the Month
Easy Apple Crumble
A great idea for dessert! (Author: A.G.)
- 4 slices Grissol Multi-Fiber or Whole Wheat Melba toast
- 1 cup 111g Mott’s Healthy Harvest No Sugar Added Apple Sauce Cup
- 1 medium apple (approx. 4 oz)
- Cinnamon and sweetener for taste
- Crush the melba toast into crumbs and set aside.
- Peel the apple and cut into thin slices.
- In a small dish, empty the Mott’s apple sauce.
- Add cinnamon and/or sweetener for added taste.
- Mix in the apple slices.
- Sprinkle the melba toast crumbs on top.
- Bake at 375?F for about 20 – 30 minutes or until apples are tender and crumbs are golden brown.
Slow Cooker Beef Roast
A healthy holiday meal for the whole family! (Author: P.C.)
- 32 oz 900 g sirloin tip roast (with all fat removed)
- 28 oz 790 g canned Unico diced tomatoes
- 4 oz 110 g onion, coarsely chopped
- Place the sirloin, chopped tomatoes and onion in a covered slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 8 – 10 hours, or on high heat for 4 – 5 hours.
- Remove from slow cooker, cut into thin slices and serve.
Nurses & Medical Receptionists
Are you tired of working unstable shifts & weekends? Are you looking to improve the balance between your work and family life? If you answered YES then we have the opportunity for you! As part of our highly skilled team, you will be closely monitoring our patients’ health, educating them on proper nutrition and motivating them to achieve their goals and maintaining their healthy weight for the rest of their lives!
Are you ready for a rewarding change of pace? With our dedicated and streamlined approach to patient care and clinic operations, the convenience of regular day-time working hours and attractive compensation, we present a significant lifestyle opportunity for today’s doctors. All while making a positive difference in so many of your patients’ lives.
Clinic Support & Administration
We are always looking for skilled people to join our team. Opportunities exist for personal and professional growth, in one of our administration and support team positions. Your chance to make a contribution to our patients’ success range from entry level to management positions in areas such as: Finance; Human Resources; Contact Centre; Warehousing/Logistics; Operations & Nursing Support; & Information Technology.
For a list of current openings, and to apply online, visit the following link: https://www.drbdiet.com/careers/